Christmas Music Through the Decades

Abigail Lowry, ENN Staff

Christmas music is one of the most remembered parts of the holiday season, whether used for caroling with friends or listening in the car, the memorable carols have been known to spark joy for centuries. 

The traditional carols of Christmas are known for having a rich history. ‘Wexford Carol’, which was originally published in the 1600’s, but is still being performed centuries later. Ishi Jacinto, senior, performed Wexford Carol with Lake Ridge Chorale, and loves the deeper meaning within the verse. 

“We performed Wexford Carol in our Christmas concert this year, and I love the lyrics about how everyone is welcome to celebrate Christmas, because the holiday is for everyone,” Jacinto stated.

The older Christmas records have been around for a long time, and the nostalgic familiarity of the tunes give people peace. Kaitlin Morgan, freshman, loves BIng Crosby, Nat King Cole, and Andy Williams’ Christmas records, because it brings her back to old memories with someone special in her life. 

“I love the old Christmas records, like Andy Williams and Bing Crosby, because I used to listen to them on the record player with my grandpa when we would go over to his house for Christmas Eve,” Morgan said. 

While the song ‘Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime’ is one of the most underrated Christmas songs, the Paul McCartney hit ties into some people’s regular taste in music. Julian Adames, junior, loves music from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and appreciates that there is good Christmas music from that era. 

“I think that the last 40 years of the 20th century were really good for music, and it gave birth to some of the best songs ever, like Bohemian Rhapsody and Don’t Speak, but I love the Beach Boys and Beatles Christmas music because it has a good rhythm and tone that you don’t get in other music,” Adames stated. 

These are special times. Celine Dion is known to be one of the most renowned singers, with 90’s hits like ‘My Heart Will Go On’ and ‘A New Day Has Come.’ But not only does she have amazing regular hits, her holiday music is also iconic. Her Christmas studio album, ‘These Are Special Times,’ debuted at number 4 on the Billboard 200 when it was released in 1998, and for Hannah Albin, junior, believes that it still is one of the most iconic and popular festive music compilations.

“I love the Celine Dion holiday album because there are so many beautiful songs and Celine is an icon which makes her album so amazing and iconic,” Albin said.

‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ is one of the most popular, yet overplayed Christmas songs. Malachi Wilson, sophomore, likes the Mariah Carey hit to a certain extent, but after a while, it gets old for him.

“I normally like listening to the classic Christmas songs a lot over the holidays, but All I Want for Christmas is You is one of my least favorites because its overhyped and overplayed, and I don’t like it,” Wilson stated.

The 21st century has produced many great artists, like Britney Spears, Adam Levine and Beyonce, but during the holidays, other artists like Josh Groban, Glee Cast, and Pentatonix, take center stage during the holiday season. Breanna Campbell, junior, likes the modern holiday hits because they give her a sense of calm during a crazy time.

“I love the newer Christmas music because it’s different from the other music that people create now and the newer takes on old songs are really calming,” Campbell said.

While for many Christmas music is important to the festivities, some people can do without it. Ewa Flake, sophomore, feels that individuals can do with less Christmas music, because it is too overplayed and not as good quality as regular music.

“I like Christmas music, but it is overdone and overplayed, and I think it would be better if the quality of the music were a little nicer and not as tacky as it’s known to be,” Flake said.

Christmas music is a key factor and quintessential element of the holiday season, and without it, for many, the time would seem very empty.