Maintaining Relationships Amid the Pandemic

Courtesy of Google Images

Covid-19 took both, a mental and physical toll, on Americans as lockdowns proceeded.

Abigail Lowry, ENN Staff

As the Coronavirus pandemic swept through the United States, couples and families were confined to their homes to be with their housemates 24/7. People forced to quarantine together were not the only ones affected; however, students and teachers had to adjust their lines of communication, in order for both to succeed in a virtual school environment.

Quarantine, for many, was a time of both, relaxation and self-discovery. However, being cooped up inside for an uncertain amount of time can take a toll on the body. The confinement acted as a realization for some that maintaining a healthy relationship with oneself is important. Junior, Madison Peterson, realized over time that it was key to live a healthy lifestyle to benefit herself. 

“At first, I wasn’t always doing the healthiest things. But over time, I came to realize that I needed to eat healthier, even if I don’t want to because I don’t like to cook,” said Peterson.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, though, was not the only way students kept sane. Finding a new hobby or experience was helpful during the lockdown situation. Freshman, Lance Boseman, found that new hobbies or activities were beneficial for him when he felt like there was nothing else to do.

“I learned that it’s not possible to get bored when you’re doing something new. I guess the more you’re bored, the more stuff you can learn,” Boseman said.

While maintaining a good relationship with yourself is important. Nevertheless, social interactions are just as important; they are a way for people to express a wide variety of experiences and emotions in a healthy way. Needless to say, friendships are essential to a person’s lifestyle. When freshman, Brandy McCray, saw her friends after not seeing them for a long period of time, she felt reassured that she would be okay.

“I felt relief because I haven’t seen them in months, due to restrictions and staying home for isolation. It felt so great,” said McCray.

During the peak of Covid-19 and into summer break, some Lake Ridge Eagles were able to begin, or continue, relationships. With the quarantine, however, they had to change the way they looked at the relationship. Junior, Faith Castells, and her boyfriend began their relationship while on lockdown. They were able to use technology to their advantage, as she was continuing to get to know him, even if it wasn’t a new experience. 

“We would use FaceTime a lot, but we would also use Houseparty and play games, or Netflix and Disney parties to watch something. It wasn’t about finding new ways to connect with them. It was about finding things to do while talking,” Castells said.

Lake Ridge teachers were not immune to the lockdown. One teacher was lucky enough to live and quarantine with her boyfriend.English teacher, Alyssa Nuttall, lives with her boyfriend of 3 years, and they continued to make time and cherish each other as time went by.

“It has been easy since we are living together, so we were kinda stuck together all quarantine, but I know a lot of people were worried about spending too much time together, but we made the best of it. We kept busy by doing activities, just making time for each other and not being down about it and complaining about it,” Nuttall said.

Teachers and students can also have strong relationships. Nuttall also teaches students virtually along with in person, and the challenges the students and her face may overwhelm her at times.

“I’m teaching virtual classes, and I’m having a lot of connectivity issues, figuratively or literally. It’s a lot to handle. But still just communicating with them and cherishing them when we can’t meet in person was and is helpful,” said Nuttall.

As the pandemic wraps up, relationships will more than likely continue to change. People may form or end a relationship, welcome new family members, or adults may start their lives together. Knowing that there are pros and cons in all situations helps us to be careful in all of our relationships.