69°
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School's Eagle Media Website

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

The Revival of Emo

Wrigley+Field+in+Chicago+hosting+Fall+Out+Boy+during+their+most+recent+tour%3B+courtesy+of+Google+Images.+
Wrigley Field in Chicago hosting Fall Out Boy during their most recent tour; courtesy of Google Images.

In the past two years, many popular 2000’s bands such as Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, and Paramore have released new music, bringing the emo genre into the limelight. This, along with the rising trend of Y2K fashion, has pushed us two decades into the past. “Emo” is a shortened word for emotional hardcore punk. The genre is characterized by heavy guitars, eye-covering side parts, and emotional lyrics Many people, teenagers and adults alike, have started to take a new interest in emo fashion and music. So-called “elder emos” are also happy seeing the bands they loved as teenagers gain a new audience.

Emo artists have returned to mainstream radio stations with their new albums and collaborations with other artists. Fall Out Boy, a band famous for songs such as “Sugar We’re Going Down,” “Dance Dance,” and “Immortals,” in particular, has gained a lot of attention due to their feature on Taylor Swift’s new song “Electric Touch.” Freshman Tatiyana Lucio wants more people to become fans of the emo genre.

“I like [emo music coming back] because it means a lot of people can get introduced to emo music,” said Lucio.

Emo songs are known for their lyrics about heartbreak and anger towards the world, but that’s not all they can be. Many people find comfort or catharsis in the relatable lyrics. Lucio thinks emo songs are a great way to relax.

“I can relate to it a lot, and it’s calming. Also, I like the screaming because it makes me not want to scream,” Lucio said.

Being emo in 2023 is a unique experience. The Y2K style is trending with many younger people wishing they were a teenager in the 2000s, but many people who dress in the emo style, especially younger people, still face teasing. Freshman Patrick Goodman doesn’t understand the hate on the style.

“I don’t like how it’s viewed. I don’t know why people hate on it so much. I think it’s a pretty cool style and it’s a great way to express yourself,” Goodman said.

Dressing in an alternative style can bring more than teasing. It can also allow people to form friendships and a community. Sophomore Jake Morales believes that having a network of friends who dress similarly is an excellent way to build connections.

“There’s probably not as many people who are into the subculture as there were a couple of years ago, but it’s a fun sense of community if you have those people,” Morales said.

With old emo bands releasing new trending music and the Y2K fashion movement stepping back into the limelight, 2000s trends are creeping back in. People from all age groups have become new fans of these bands due to their new music. Older fans are also excited about this new wave of emo music as they get to watch people discover the bands they have loved for years.

About the Contributor
Apollo Anders
Apollo Anders, ENN Staff