77°
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School's Eagle Media Website

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Developing a Successful Mindset

Developing a Successful Mindset
Courtesy of Google Images

Mindset holds much power over an individual. It’s a specific way of thinking, it shapes how one perceives the world, and research shows that it even plays a significant role in determining life’s outcomes. While it was previously assumed that the brain stopped developing as it neared adolescence, it is now understood that the brain is neuroplastic, meaning the nervous system can continue to change and reorganize throughout life and in response to experience. Charlie Martin, biology teacher, has his own understanding of a good mindset and does his best to relay this information to his students.

“To me, being in a good mindset means always trying to find the best in a situation and accepting when things aren’t perfect. I try to start class each day with students listing things that are going well or that they want to share with the class. I also try to limit any negative talk that they have in my room. Finally, if I “catch” someone doing something good, I try to be over-the-top in bragging on them and recognizing it,” said Martin.

People tend to lean toward one of two main mindsets: growth or fixed. People with a fixed mindset believe their intelligence has already been determined, and they struggle to put themselves in unfamiliar situations. However, a growth mindset encourages people to persist despite the chance of failure. Lydia Laman, junior, focuses on having a growth mindset. She believes this helps her in school by shifting her focus from feeling stressed to being ready to try something new each day.

“A fixed mindset is thinking that whatever skills you’re born with are what you get and you’re stuck with. A growth mindset is expanding your mind and accomplishing what you want to accomplish if you work hard,” said Laman.

In recent years, the construct of mindset has gained attention in the classroom. More teachers have begun talking to their students about the importance of having a growth mindset, hoping to encourage students to find excitement in learning. In a 2018 study conducted by the Program for International Student Assessment, students with a strong growth mindset scored significantly higher on schoolwork of all subjects compared with students who believed their intelligence could not grow. Katrina Covington, chemistry teacher, prioritizes positivity in her classroom, hoping to show students how a good mindset can improve school performance.

“I believe having a growth mindset in the classroom means to be flexible and open to change, especially if it’s for the better. I hope that because I have a positive attitude it reflects on my students and they also are more positive. This is why I try not to be too serious and make jokes and sometimes just talk to my kids about anything. I want them to feel comfortable in my class to help them become positive. I hope all of that carries over to outside the classroom,” said Covington.

School stress is not unusual. However, treating stressors as challenges can lead to positive outcomes having negative perceptions of stressors can invoke negative outcomes. Evidence shows that stress can produce positive psychological and physiological effects, but the term “stress” often has negative connotations. Because mindsets shape what we expect, understand and feel, it can be noted that while coping with stress is important, stress can be enhancing when it opens our minds to new ways of thinking.

“By recognizing what the stressors are in your life and knowing what makes you think negatively, you can change how you react to them. Use them as a reminder to think positive instead of having a negative response. Constantly remind yourself of the mindset you are trying to achieve and then take steps, even tiny ones, to reach it over a long period of time,” said Martin.

There are many ways to control your mindset, such as the use of positive affirmations, journaling, and avoiding triggers of negative thoughts. These tactics can clear the mind of unwanted thoughts and open space for a confident growth mindset. Being in control of your thoughts improves educational capabilities by focusing on optimism and facing challenges in an effective way. Alex Kostis, senior, works hard to focus on his thoughts so he can set himself for success.

“Thinking positively develops a healthy lifestyle and a better way of thinking. It helps you stay focused on your goals and keeps you motivated. Instead of thinking close minded, thinking positively will keep you open minded and exuberant,” said Kostis.

Like Kostis, Laman has strategies to help her keep an optimistic mindset. She refocuses any self degrading feelings and alters these into a way that changes negative thinking to positive thinking.

“Do things that make you happy. Things are worth a try. If you have a negative mindset, you don’t want to do anything. But if you have a positive mindset, you’ll give it a try,” said Laman. “Even if it’s hard, give it a try and have courage.”

About the Contributor
Megan Riddle
Megan Riddle, ENN Staff