69°
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School's Eagle Media Website

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

When Love Hurts

SL2056
https://anadequatemom.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/arguing-for-two-and-eventually-three/
SL2056 https://anadequatemom.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/arguing-for-two-and-eventually-three/

Unhealthy behaviors in relationships have been broadcasted on many TV networks and social media platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, TV shows, etc. On these platforms, viewers are shown things such as physical abuse, mental abuse, and verbal abuse from both partners. Instead of viewers actually showing concern for what’s being shown, many encourage the behavior or even find it amusing.

Although some viewers find it amusing to watch the toxic relationship between couples on television, others find it concerning and even believe that the behavior shown on television has been overly normalized. Xavier Swing, junior, feels that these relationships that are broadcasted on television and social media have misguided many young people on what love looks like and how people should treat their partner.

“When people look up to relationships shown on social media, they start to have unrealistic expectations and they start unhealthy habits that lead them to becoming toxic,” said Swing. “I feel like people are too attached to social media and want to be like other people. I feel like your relationship should be your way.”

Social media often passes off unhealthy relationships as an ‘intense love story.’ Stories like this leave impressions on viewers in negative ways and, it teaches people that behaviors such as those are okay. Kevin Locks, junior, says that he believes the relationships shown on television aren’t proper examples of what true relationships are and should be like. 

“I feel like some people are genuinely trapped in relationships that are shown on television,” said Locks. “Like Chrisean Rock, I feel like she’s trapped in this fictional world she created over Blueface now she’s just in a big loop.”

Scandal, a TV show broadcasted on Hulu, is another example of how people have romanticized unhealthy behaviors. In Scandal, Olivia Pope and Fitz have an extremely on and off relationship with poor communication. Although the two can never stay together, they still cling together and don’t allow the other to date outside their ‘relationship.’ Brooke Jackson, junior, believes relationships such as these have normalized people being overly clingy about their significant other in unhealthy ways.

“I feel like relationships now, people act as if they can’t live without the other person and are overly attached,” said Jackson. “Not letting each other breathe is exhausting and when it comes time to end the relationship, it’s much more difficult and complicated to do it.”

Although social media plays a role in how relationships are viewed, parents also play a strong role as well. Aashirya Harris, junior, feels that our generation has lowered the bar when it comes to relationships and the standards that come with it because of what they were exposed to as children. Harris feels like the problem is deeper than just what social media promotes.

“I believe our generation has been misguided on what love should be like by media and for some watching their parents,” said Harris. “Parents who are always arguing around their children and stay together can teach their children that arguing is normal and it is. However, you shouldn’t be arguing all the time with your partner and especially not in front of your children.”

Some have even noticed how traditional relationships have changed, and people don’t put in true effort and don’t try. Caiden Bailey, junior, says that social media has changed the way relationship dynamics work. He feels that communication has gotten more difficult because of people’s unrealistic expectations.

“I feel like once again, some guys don’t be like putting an effort or they’re putting a bit effort to start and once they get her and they feel like they’ve gotten the prize, then they’re kind of like well, I don’t have to do any more work. And I don’t think that’s access to why they’re here.”

About the Contributor
Brooke-Lynn Riser
Brooke-Lynn Riser, ENN Staff