80°
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School's Eagle Media Website

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

The Sick Planet

Credits to Google images
Credits to Google images

Global warming is the continuous increase of the average temperature on Earth. This increase in temperature is scientifically proven to be due to the use of fossil fuels by humans and greenhouse gases that are released into the Earth’s atmosphere. This  creates more negative effects on the environment rather than positive such as droughts and tropical storms.

According to NASA (.gov), “Global warming is the long-term heating of Earth’s surface observed since the pre-industrial period (between 1850 and 1900) due to human activities, primarily fossil fuel burning, which increases heat-trapping greenhouse gas levels in Earth’s atmosphere,” giving a basic definition of what global warming is and how it affects the planet.

Science shows that global warming is caused by the emissions of fossil fuels and greenhouse gases. This is due to the human use of these fossil fuels, such as petroleum that most cars need to be able to run. The use of petroleum and other fuels creates greenhouse gasses that build up in the Earth’s atmosphere and create problems such as global warming. Jay Ballauer, Math teacher, believes that maybe humans aren’t the reason for global warming.

“I think it’s too easy to make it a political question when in fact that yes global warming is there and there is evidence that it is doing all the things people say it is doing. However, when you begin to politicize it, you begin to think of it as being something that we have caused as opposed to something that naturally occurs over eons of this planet,” said Ballauer. “And so I tend to stand on the side that we have less impact than we think we do, but we still have responsibility to make sure that we are leaving things in good shape for the generations after us.”

According to Welcome to the United Nations fossil fuels contribute to about 75% of greenhouse gas emissions and 90% of carbon emissions. And according to EESI humans use about 80% of the world’s energy through fossil fuels. Ballauer believes that though humans have a major contribution to climate change, we shouldn’t be solely focused on how we affect the environment and how we affect other things.

“Well, you know, I think it’s easy to make it about our impact on the planet when we should as human beings evaluate our impact on everything that we do, and whether that is the way we’re like to people, how nice we are to people. We have a responsibility to think less of ourselves and more of others, less of ourselves and more the planet. That’s just social responsibility, and so if we’re socially responsible then we will live lives that benefit those around us. And that includes a better planet on which we can live,” said Ballauer. 

There are many ways of making changes to how humans contribute to global warming to create a healthy environment for everyone. Senior Luis Reyes believes that using other ways of transportation is more enjoyable than using a typical car or motored vehicle.

“It’s gotten worse because, you know, there’s areas of land that I see that’s getting drier and drier by the day, and like people aren’t stopping making products that emit and cause global warming. I think they can find a new invention or something or stop using the resources that are causing all that like they use more safer options. I’m promoting a healthier life, you don’t have to drive everywhere, use a bike sometimes,“ said Reyes.

The use of fossil fuels daily creates greenhouse gases that build up in the Earth’s atmosphere, which contributes to global warming. This worries civilians and scientists alike, but many help make the planet a better place to be currently and in the future. 

About the Contributor
Amber Abrego
Amber Abrego, ENN Staff