81°
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School's Eagle Media Website

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Eagle Media

Bridging Educational Gaps

Bridging Educational Gaps
Courtesy of Google Images

Founded in 1992, the TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science Center, or UBMS, at The University of Texas at Arlington serves low-income or first-generation students throughout Texas. TRIO UBMS is a college preparatory program for high school students who are interested in math, science, and engineering. The program is funded entirely by a grant from the US Department of Education and assists students from underrepresented backgrounds in pursuing postsecondary education.

UBMS serves high school students across Texas and helps its participants prepare for majors and careers in STEM. The program is funded to serve students in Mansfield ISD and has participating students at several MISD high schools, including Lake Ridge. Selected based on their active participation, interest in STEM careers, leadership qualities, and commitment to the goals of the program, four students from Mansfield ISD–2 from Lake Ridge–attended the TRIO Conference in North Carolina in early April. UTA’s Fidel Zapata is the Senior Coordinator for the program. There are three UBMS grants in the TRIO Pre-College Programs Department, and he coordinates the day-to-day operations of one of those grants. Zapata states the conference gave students a chance to expand their horizons with this unique experience.

“The third annual TRIO Access and Success Conference at North Carolina Central University is a three day student development conference designed to provide TRIO and accessibility scholars with the opportunity to experience community engagement, academic and personal development, networking and overall enrichment,” said Zapata.

At the conference, leaders informed students of opportunities that will set them up for success in the future. Faith Agbonifo, sophomore, has been in the TRIO program for several months. She feels that it has prepared her for the future, and the conference was a beneficial opportunity.

“It was a college fair, and it was an opportunity for students to get to know more about college life while also gaining experiences. There were many breakout rooms where students could learn more about their preferred course of study. There were also fun things like games, a barbecue, and more,” said Agbonifo.

Maya Taylor, junior, was also selected to attend the conference. Having been a part of the program for nearly two years, she emphasizes the support it provides to students from underrepresented backgrounds. The program has also provided her with information on how to navigate a higher education by offering insight into resources like fee waivers. For Taylor, the program equips her with the tools and knowledge needed to thrive beyond high school.

“This program shows you all the things that not all counselors tell you about with being a low income or first gen student. It also allows you many more opportunities such as fee waivers for the ACT and SAT meaning they will pay for it up to at least ten times. Being involved with this program also looks good on your college application. This program also takes you on college tours and provides you an experience to live on a college campus during the summer,” said Taylor.

With a focus on academic excellence, leadership skills, and empowering students of low-income or first-generation students, TRIO UBMS is helpful for many students. Zapata highlights the unique role of this grant in serving students across school districts.

“This particular grant is funded to serve 65 students each year from our target schools in Alvarado, Ennis, Mansfield, and Venus Independent School Districts. We work with each school district to recruit new students each fall who meet the federal eligibility criteria for being either a potential first generation college graduate and/or coming from a limited income household,” said Zapata.

Taylor and Agbonifo learned about UBMS through school in an email from their counselors. Both students appreciate what the program has done for them in assisting with scholarship opportunities. UTA’s TRIO UBMS has a transformative impact and has done much work in supporting members of the community.

“I learned about this from my counselor. She sent an email explaining what it is and my mom encouraged me to sign up for it. I learned about opportunities that low income and first gen students can have going into college, like getting many different scholarships and creating many different relationships with other people,” said Taylor.

About the Contributor
Megan Riddle
Megan Riddle, ENN Staff